Tuesday, February 13, 2007

VICTORY

Victory might be overstating the case, but I am choosing to enter the swiftly approaching spring term time at Bennington by feeling good about my winter accomplishments. Let's review:

1. I planned to reinvigorate the Weather Report.
Well, whatever I meant by that wasn't what I thought it would be, but accidentally, it happened. I still keep the Weather Report every day, and since celebrating the 1-year anniversary on Jan. 24, I can now look back on what I did today last year. For instance, on Feb. 13 last year I was anxiously awaiting the beginning of the spring term. Sounds a lot like today. Coincidence? I mean really.

2. I wanted to write "a proper artist's statement for the Weather Report."
Naturally, this goal got warped too. But I have 10 pages of fiction, 10 pages of memoir-y essay, 4 pages of an essay about loving the cold, 2 little baby poems and a bunch of weird dream recordings. This is more writing than I did in the entire time since I graduated. And it's all a lot less in the category of whiny journal writing than normal, so that's a good little boost. Hell yes I love writing.

3. I wanted to knit my mother socks.
Shamefully, I have not knit my mother socks. I have fixed up a pair of jeans and a new shirt for myself, though. I have also sent a couple letters and postcards to people who needed them and visited my parents and my sister in person on two consecutive weekends-- perhaps showing my face and spending several hours in the car is enough to trade for a pair of socks.

So. That's how things look in my productivity pact today. I am still working as always, and I for one vote that productive things keep happening even when it's the term at Bennington. Let's not let academia stand in the way of personal creativity, etc. If anyone's with me, let me know.

No comments: